Finishing and insulating an existing addition

Old 02-03-18, 08:21 AM
Finishing and insulating an existing addition

I bought a house with an unfinished 13'x14' room off the first floor walkout basement level. Foundation in place as well as framing, 3-season porch above. Had inspector out and looking to finish to code in MA. Budget is a consideration. Some questions-

1) walls need R19, but 2 walls are 2x4s. Was quoted $1800 for spray foam(!), so I plan on using R13 batting in 2x4s, then going over all 2x4s with R6 foam board (pics attached). Board has foil two sides and I don't see a spec for leaving a gap with dry wall. Any problems on this plan?

2) will be adding heat, some options-
the finished walkout basement level that the addition is attached to has hot water baseboard heat (common type). Can I just tap off the existing baseboard line, run through the wall to the addition and add baseboard heaters? Can I use this water line with Runtal heaters? How costly is electric nowadays?

3) do I need to insulate the concrete floor- ie subfloor under tiles or rug? The finished (mostly) basement level that this addition is adjacent to is just painted floor at this point and doesn't ever seem very cold.

4) random electrical question so I keep this to one thread. I had the electrical put in the room to code. Because I don't plan well, one outlet on a 14' wall is where I may put a closet (for bedroom). Would this be a code violation where you need x-number of outlets per wall. There is another outlet on this wall, that could handle a window AC unit.

Thanks!!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links