Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Ceiling insulation in unfinished basement utility room

Old 02-20-18, 08:54 PM

I have a utility room in the basement that is unfinished. ( The rest of the basement is fully finished). In the ceiling of the unfinished area is exposed pink fiberglass insulation with the Kraft paper facing up ( so you can't see it when looking up at it.). I have a fridge in this room so I go in and out fairly often and don't want to be breathig in the fallong fibers. I have heard to use tyvex to cover this but that seems like a fire hazard. ( My electrical box and gas fired furnace are in this room). Would if be better to use refletix perofrated radiant barrier instead? I do not want to drywall this as there are runs from the furnace down here and pipes as as water softener drain lines as well as the runs from the main electric box on one side.
thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-18, 12:05 AM
You want to cover the fiberglass to seal off the shedding of fibers.

Ive seen interior walls covered in plastic which causes not vapor issues and I currently have a couple of insulated walls in my basement covered with Tyvec because I didn't want or need to drywall.

I have GEO thermal heating, electric water heater so no source of flame down there!

Old 02-22-18, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
If the room is conditioned, I would remove the insulation in the ceiling in the first place.

Old 02-22-18, 04:53 PM
But the insulation could be providing some noise control!

Old 02-26-18, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe but not stated so I did not assume so. Were that the case, Roxul might be a better choice anyway.

Old 02-26-18, 06:39 PM
The area is the unfinished part of the basement. The rest of the basement has electric heat which is only on when we are down there. Above the unfinished area is the living room so keeping noise down of the furnace (althought its a gas direct vent so it is fairly quiet) and it hopefully keeps the hardwood floor slightly warmer to the feet.
The last time i used roxul i had the worst rash on my arms for 2 days. It can be healthy to breath that in as well.

Old 02-27-18, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
hopefully keeps the hardwood floor slightly warmer to the feet
Having a warm room below with no insulation is what provides a warm floor for the feet.

Your house, your call; just been telling you what I would do.