Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Insulating HVAC Closet in My Condo - Neighbor Can Hear My Humidifier

Old 03-25-18, 06:27 AM

I installed a whole house humidifier in my 2nd floor condo. Last night, my neighbor came over and complained that she can hear it in her bedroom ceiling. She is on the 1st floor. It seems that my HVAC closet sits over her bedroom closet. I don't know what to do, and I was hoping there is some way to muffle the sound. Could I possibly insulate the floor with something? Are there any code issues with doing that? Would something like cork help? The subfloor in my condo is gypcrete, which I assume sits over plywood. The humidifier doesn't even seem that loud to begin with, but I guess she notices a new noise. I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-18, 06:43 AM
Is you HVAC closet inside your insulated living space?

I can not imagine a humidifyer making more noise than the furnace itself. What type is it?

Most have just a water valve that opens delivering water to the media, no motors to make noise!

Old 03-25-18, 06:53 AM
My HVAC closet is at the left corner of my family room. I assume that it's insulated along the exterior section, but I don't know. You can see it to the left of the windows in the picture below. Sorry for the mess. I just moved in, and I'm getting ready to remodel.

The humidifier is an Aprilaire 500M. It seems very quiet to me. The water makes a slight hissing sound, but it's not loud at all. I assume that's normal? I've never had one before, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It's definitely a lot quieter than the furnace. When I have the closet door closed, I can't even hear it.

Attached Images  
Old 03-25-18, 09:21 AM
That model doesn't have any moving parts. I would go down and listen. The water noise is normal.

Old 03-25-18, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by skaggsje View Post
That model doesn't have any moving parts. I would go down and listen. The water noise is normal.
I actually did listen from her unit, and the noise is so faint. She had me come over last night when she knocked on my door. You can barely hear it. When the humidifier runs, there is a slight hissing sound. My washer, dryer, and furnace have to be louder.

Old 03-25-18, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
The sound you're hearing is the water running thru the water pipe and to the humidifier. The noise follows the plumbing pipes. I don't think insulating the utility room is going to change or help that.

I can hear mine thru parts of the house too. It's just something I've become accustomed to.