Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Timber Frame home floor insulation and vapor barrier

Old 06-29-18, 10:24 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
Forgive me I'd this specific topic has already been discussed. I have a home built in the mid 1800's in central SC. Among many other projects, insulating this house is on the list for this upcoming fall. I do not live at this home. I already have plans for insulating the exterior walls and attic spaces. The floors I cant seem to find a good answer. There is no basement and no subflooring. The floor planks are nailed directly to the very large joists. There is currently an open air crawl space with no vapor barriers. I have seen conflicting answers on how to approach this. First question: Do I even bother messing with it.? This house currently is not climate controlled. I know the floors get cold but I have no idea what kind of difference it will make when I do add climate control (heat and air) to the house.
If I do opt to insulate under the floors do I use faceless fiber glass, or fiber glass w/o face, or wool? Should I attach vapor barrier to the bottom of the joists under the insulation to let vapor out but not in? Should the vapor barrier go on before the insulation? Should I lay down plastic or vapor barrier on the ground? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Hutch12; 06-29-18 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Spelling error in title

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: