In Ceiling speaker vapor box thing?

Old 07-05-18, 06:16 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In Ceiling speaker vapor box thing?

When I built my house I put in ceiling speakers in the areas of my house where there is a floor above. The builder had said if I do it in places where there is just an attic above, I would need some kind of box thing that seals it out, otherwise water would rain from the speaker in the winter due to moisture (I live in Minnesota, so lots of insulation and cold). I ran the wires there anyway and just left them. I now want to put speakers up now that I have time to think about it (I was only given 3 days to install them per builder during build).

My question is, what are those speaker box things he was talking about, and where would I get it from? he described it as looking like an upside down paint tray...?

Old 07-09-18, 06:45 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found it. Its a Backer Box similar to backerboxx brand.

Old 07-09-18, 07:29 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi jj,
A box is part of what you want, but the objective is to prevent all air leakage from house to attic and to super insulate above and around your speakers so no warn interior air reaches a surface cool enough to result in condensation.

Recessed lights have a similar requirement with the added difficulty of heat from the lights, they need to be rated air tight and for insulation contact.

For any speakers that are installed between floors remember those cavities often lead to exterior (cold) surfaces so air sealing is also good.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: