insulating 2-foot cantilever from unfinished bsmt

Old 05-19-01, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I am fixing insulation in a 2-foot cantilever from my unfinished basement. Above the cantilever is the floor of my dining/kitchen area. The insulation is installed in a 10-inch truss space. The original R-14 rock wool batts were installed very sloppily, and probably provide little insulation value. Would it be better to completely fill the dead-air truss space of the cantilever with heavy batt insulation such as R-30, or would it be better to use lighter batts and leave some dead-air space exposed and open to the rest of the basement truss space air? This truss space will eventually be cut off from the heated air of the basement by a ceiling, and thus it will be unheated except for whatever heat radiates off the ductwork of my forced-air furnace.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-01, 05:38 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
I would install the R-30 batt into the cavity, be sure the insulation starts at the top of the floor and covers the entire bond area, It is normal practce here to try and leave a little air space between the floor and the air in the basement, thus allowing some heat to reach the underside of the floor.. Even with the ceiling finished, since heat rises it still will be warm between floors,
Also make sure the entire bond plate is insulated prior to installing a ceiling. This I would reccomend in any basement or crawl space.

Good Luck

Jim