Ceiling fiberglass insulation in basement

Old 09-23-18, 07:09 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fiberglass insulation in basement

The basement of the home is 90% finished. Their is a room that has the plumbing/electrical (hot water tank, well tank, main electric panel, gas fired furnace for hot water baseboard, etc.). This room is also used as storage and has a spare fridge freezer in it so it gets some use. This room is unfinished and has exposed pink fiberglass insulation in the ceiling with the paper side up (so you can't see it). I rather not remove as it provides sound dampening (slightly) to the living room above and keep the floor slightly warmer. I do not want to sheet rock this area as there are several plumbing runs in the ceiling. Would perforated relectix be good to cover this to keep the fibers from dropping and being breather/spread? It's rated as A class 1. I want something that is fairly fire friendly in the worse case scenario but also allows this to breath.
Other opinions are welcome
Thanks,

Old 09-23-18, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Don't think you need to be worried about it "breathing" since both sides are conditioned space. Should be a good product to use since you need to use a fire rated material.

Old 09-24-18, 08:50 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
keep the floor slightly warmer
Insulated walls between condition spaces dont do much for insulation but as noted may provide some noise suppression but needs to be at least 6" thick. Fiberglass is not the best product to use for this, the best is the blue jean or rock-wool insulation along with other dedicated materials/processes!

You really need to cover the fiberglass, it will continuously shed fibers and they are not good to breath. At a min cover with plastic!

Old 09-24-18, 04:04 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's 6 inches thick and I rather not remove and spend money on other sound supressive product at this time.
any other ideas besides the plastic or perforated refletix that is better fire retardant that can be stapled up. (Not drywall as mentioned.)

Old 09-24-18, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
You could sheet the ceiling with Thermax or drywall. But that will cost more.

Old 09-24-18, 04:28 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Tyvek barrier would work!

I wasn't suggesting to remove, just that regular old fiberglass is not the greatest sound barrier!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: