Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

insulation upgrade

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-22-01, 11:46 AM   #1  
We are currently building a 2,500 sqft home. Two stories, with 1,760 feet on the first floor the remainder on the second floor. We live on the Illinois / Wisconsin border. The heating source is gas/forced air. Our builder would like to take our exterior walls from around an R19 insulation factor to around a R25 factor. The cost of this upgrade is around $1,500. Is this money well spent? How long will it take for this upgrade to payback in energy cost? Overall is this a good investment?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-22-01, 04:49 PM   #2  
Insulman
My first approach would be to make sure that I had a minimum of R-38 in all attic areas where most heat loss occurs...

Then lets assume that for the 1500 dollars difference you want to break even on your investment. If you saved $50 per month on energy use that would be $600 per year so it would take approximately 22 years to recoup your investment... I don't think you would notice a comfort difference between the two products.. also curious as to what product gives you an R-25, I am assuming in a 2" x 6" stud cavity.

Windows are a large factor in heat loss from the wall areas of a structure... I reccommend foam sealing all openings and behind electrical outlets on exterior walls, This drastically reduces air infiltration.

Good Luck

Jim

Search this Thread