Cold air leak

Old 12-04-18, 01:35 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air leak

I live in a 2 level detached house. There are 2 rooms above the garage. Iniyially boyh rooms were extremely hot in the summer snd freezing in the winter. Ive come to find that the garage ceiling was vapor barrieredbut not insulated at all.

I've insulated the ceiling and sealef the vapor barrier back up but one room is still affected by the outside temperature. I noticed a bathroom that didn't have a flap and thus allowing cold air in, that vent was between the cold bedrooms floor anf the garage ceiling. Ive replaced the vent with a proper one yet the room is still cold.

any ideas?

p.s. theres a slight overhang with perforated soffits but my garage doesnt have an attic could this be the problem?

Old 12-04-18, 01:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,621 Likes on 1,455 Posts
It could be anything so you'll have to check for the usual problems. Look for drafts around doors, windows, electrical outlets and switches. Also see if you can examine the walls and ceiling for insulation. If the floor wasn't insulated it's possible that other areas were missed as well.

Probably the best thing you can do is buy, rent or borrow a thermal camera. Use it on when it's really cold outside and any drafts or gaps in insulation will be very visible.

Another thing is to look at the heating and cooling for those rooms. Is it adequate? Even the best sealed and insulated room will get cold without enough heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: