Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Insulation that doesn't have to be finished with drywall?

Old 12-18-18, 02:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Is there any kind of ceiling insulation that by code doesn't have to be finished with drywall? I would like to insulate an open beam ceiling. Will be years before I re roof so insulating on top is not really an option.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-18, 04:58 PM
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
There are closed cell foam boards like this

https://www.awarehousefull.com/dow-thermax-sheathing/

that are fire rated and can be left exposed.

The problem is that they have a foil face with lettering that would not make a very attractive ceiling. I think the foil would not hold a paint covering even if you could coat it with enough to block the lettering.

Old 12-19-18, 05:30 PM
A
Is there some sort of second layer of something that you could put up that's light fire rated and doesn't have lettering? Some sort of foil tapestry maybe?

Old 12-19-18, 08:53 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Andy, where are you, hot or cold climate?
In a cold climate you would need to consider condensation as the space above this new insulation layer would get colder.

The foil faced Thermax is still the only one of the closed cell foam boards that has gone through the testing to be left exposed without a thermal barrier. There is also a paint that could be applied to a foam surface to meet the fire rating, intumescent I believe. That is just a different way to spell expensive, but maybe not, it has been a long time.

Duct board has a reasonable R-value and is a rigid fiberglass material. I have found it in 4' x 10' sheets from a commercial supplier. But your climate region is what we need to get better options.

Bud

Old 12-20-18, 03:04 PM
A
Coastal Southern California. It doesn't get really cold here or really hot but during the winter it's a struggle just to get the room up to 68 degrees.

Old 12-20-18, 04:19 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The issue with creating a new thermal barrier is that the attic created (or space) above will then get a lot colder. When warm air from the living space leaks into that attic it cools and if cold enough it can drop below the dew point and forms condensation.

Any thought of fitting the insulation between the beams to eliminate any air space above?

Any pictures?

Bud

Old 12-21-18, 01:40 PM
A
This is an OPEN BEAM ceiling. There is no attic. One story. The roof is above. Slight pitch to the roof.

What happens when there's condensation? Wood rot? Does the moisture come from inside or outside?