Verifying that a wall has insulation?

Old 01-09-19, 04:46 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Verifying that a wall has insulation?

I'd like to see if a certain outer wall has insulation. Walls are drywall. I hate patching, but will do what I need to do.

So is the basic idea to drill a small hole between the studs and just peek in then mud over it?

If so, what size hole do you like to make?

Thanks

Old 01-10-19, 05:21 AM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
That is a tough one, just drilling a small hole may not do much to allow confirmation, a scope could be used but now you have larger holes.

Some rental places have thermal cameras that you could use to see the heat image, should be pretty evident and allow you to see everything!

Old 01-10-19, 05:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I've never used one but I agree a thermal imaging camera is the way to go. Drilling a hole only lets you see a small portion [or verify no insulation]

Old 01-10-19, 05:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,624 Likes on 1,458 Posts
An ir thermal camera (FLIR) is the most thorough way to tell. In a couple minutes you can walk through your entire house and examine all the walls, ceilings, floors, door & windows. It can even spot the difference between R-13 and R-15 in the wall. A thermal camera will give the most clear and easy to understand results if you can do it when it's cold outside.

If you can't borrow or rent a thermal camera you can try removing the face plate from some switches and electrical outlets on your exterior walls. Often there is a slight gap between the electrical box and sheetrock that will allow you to peek inside the wall cavity. This will only tell you what is at that one location but it's OK for a quick first pass inspection.

Old 01-10-19, 08:42 AM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
All of the above plus, how old is the house. A 1980 or newer home would definitely have some insulation. As you go back in time that insulation could be thinner or disappear in some cases.

I definitely agree with renting or buying an inexpensive infrared camera. The rentals will usually be better than the inexpensive. But with either you will inspect your entire house in half a day. Tips to get the most out of it if you get a camera.

Bud

Old 01-20-19, 08:36 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I was able to pry some of the drywall to the side of the electrical outlet enough to where the plate still hides it and was able to see drywall.

The house is 5 yrs old.

Thanks very much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: