Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for simplest way to insulate electrical closet

Old 02-08-19, 08:18 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

At work we have a shallow electrical closet that is the source of a huge draft. The pictures below hopefully explain it better than I can. Inside dimensions are approx 4' wide x 8' tall x 1' deep.

The vast bulk of the coldest air comes up through the floor, which is no surprise since there is are gaps in the flooring and a gaping hole where some plumbing comes up from the "dungeon". (The owner calls it the basement, but it's really just a glorified crawl space that happens to be 6' deep.)

Some optimistic soul shoved some left over fiberglass insulation in between some studs on the left side, but otherwise there's nothing else. I was planning on using Great Stuff for the majority of the gaps at the top and on the sides, but I'd welcome any advice and especially would like some guidance for the floor. If possible, I'd prefer to avoid anything that can't be removed fairly easily, in case someone needs to work on the plumbing or wiring that comes through.

I have a very tight budget...in fact I may have to foot the bill for the materials myself, since the owner is not convinced it would help much. So, I'm not looking for a perfect or ideal solution...just something that's a whole lot better than nothing.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

Attached Images        
Old 02-09-19, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Great stuff would be perfect for filling any gaps. For the floor you could use some rigid foam board and then cover it with some plywood so as not to get damaged. You will likely have to get a 4'x8' sheet so if needed use multiple layers. If your cutting/fitting is not tight, then just full gaps with more great stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: