How to insulate behind a breaker panel..

Old 02-10-19, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to insulate behind a breaker panel..

I just put a new flush mount breaker panel between my 2x6 wall studs. I only have a few inches behind the box, can I just slide a piece of faced insulation behind it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-19, 08:49 AM
Received 144 Votes on 133 Posts
Sure, or a piece of foam board!

Old 02-11-19, 07:34 AM
Have another question if you don't mind. I have a few little gaps, some as small as 1 inch. Can I use can foam insulation to fill these gaps half way then use regular insulation to fill them the rest of the way? Also if I stuff regular insulation in the bigger gaps say 2 inches or so should I use duct tape to cover the exposed insulation as a vapor barrier?

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-19, 03:21 PM
You could put some craft backed fiberglass insulation there but you do not want to compress it or it will loose it's insulation value. You could peel off some of the fiberglass so it is thinner but then you don't have much r value there. A nice piece of 2" foam board should fit nicely behind that panel then use some spray foam to seal all around the edges. Spray foam in those small bays will work great. Don't pack in the fiberglass though. Leave it fluffy. Also the spray foam will be a vapor barrier. Don't add another vapor barrier or you can get condensation between the two and cause a lot more problems.

skeeter

Old 10-11-19, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 479 Votes on 449 Posts
Keep in mind if you seal that section well you will no longer be able to add any further wiring.

Old 10-11-19, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 286 Votes on 261 Posts
I would just stuff fiberglass in those gaps but that's just me. Foam is great gor small gaps but if you have many cavities like that it will cost you a small fortune to foam them all. Plus you would likely have to go back and cut the foam off as it poofs out. But they do make a different type of foam for large gaps that works well.