Adding insulation to my attic . Do it myself?

Old 03-06-19, 04:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding insulation to my attic . Do it myself?

I live in Wisconsin and this winter has been pretty rough. Got some condensation in 2 spots of the house so today I went up to the attic with an insulation guy( got an estimate) and the spots where the condensation is has insulation missing( or very light ) like the wind blew it towards the middle away from the edge. The house is 2 story so the attic is about 750 sq ft. The blown in insulation is at 10 inches now so he would be adding 5 inches to make it r-50. He also suggested he would remove the black 4 inch hoses coming from the soffit vents and adding baffles instead. And he guaranteed my condensation would be gone. The quote is $715. If I was to do it myself with the Home Depot pink blown in stuff, how many of those bags would I need to do the 5 inches of 750 sq ft or is 700$ not worth the headache ?

Old 03-07-19, 02:01 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
Adding insulation is a relatively simple 2-person job. I've always used celulose just because I hate fiberglass, nasty stuff!

You already have a basic idea of what needs to be done based on the contractor so you just need to calculate how much material is needed!

700 sq ft is pretty small area, for the hassle of dragging home all the material and the machine, for a savings of just a couple hundred dollars!

Old 03-07-19, 02:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
If I remember correctly the blower rental is free for a day providing you buy the minimum amount of bags [10?] They sell both the fiberglass and cellulose. As stated above it's really a 2 man job; one operating the hose and the other feeding the hopper. You'll have a mess to clean up wherever the hopper is. The pro has a longer hose and his hopper will be inside his truck.

Old 03-07-19, 04:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,321 Upvotes on 2,065 Posts
What are the 4" black hoses you mentioned? Are they for your bathroom vent fans?

Old 03-07-19, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
black 4 inch hoses coming from the soffit vents and adding baffles instead
odd but I assumed they were used instead of the traditional baffles.

Old 03-07-19, 05:31 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I'm assuming too that the hoses were used in place of baffles, and suppose they'd work, accept that you still would have insulation against the bottom of the roof sheathing, and I would be concerned as to if or how they are sealed to prevent insulation from getting past them. So depending on how feasible it is, thinking of the pitch and how the rafters are cut, now would be the time to replace them with proper baffles. And frankly, depending on how agile you feel, that alone might be worth paying the $700 to have it done. On the other hand, they go pretty quickly and easily, so once you get jiggered into place you might skate right down one side, then the other, and have it done by lunch time. Then you're ready to add the new insulation. Not sure I'd want to do it right now, being as cold as it is, but you don't want to do it in July either, so good that your getting your plan together and can tackle it as soon as it warms up enough to work up there.

Old 03-07-19, 10:22 AM
M
Yea he said he would rip the hoses out and add 18 baffles. Something I donít think I feel comfortable doing especially since there is already 10 inches of insulation up there, Iím 6í4 300 so it would be a hard fall thru some drywall! Only thing Iíd feel comfortable doing is the insulation but 700 doesnít seem like a whole lot. Plus time is valuable since I work like 60 hrs every week. And he guaranteed my condensation would be gone forever

Old 10-11-19, 02:43 PM
S
"And he guaranteed my condensation would be gone forever"

Tell him you will have him do it if he puts that in writing on the invoice? lol

skeeter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: