Converted garage space

Old 05-30-01, 07:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Arrow Converted garage space

Our two-car garage is used as our home office space - I had an a/c duct run to it; weatherstripped and caulked the garage door and hung very thick upholstery material on the inside to help insulate it. Since this space is uninsulated, it does get pretty warm during the summer...If I just add unfaced fiberglass rolls in the attic space above - would that help? Or, would it be worth it to also insulate the rafters? (The rest of the house - cathedral ceilings have blown in insulation which stops at the garage). I have also been thinking about an awning or a trellis of plants to cover the outside wall - which faces west to try to block some of the late afternoon sun... I'd appreciate any suggestions - especially anything I can do myself - and I can tackle just about anything! Thank you! I GUESS I WASN'T REAL CLEAR ABOUT MY DILEMMA!! - EVEN THOUGH I HAVE CAULKED, COVERED AND WEATHERSTRIPPED THE GARAGE DOOR, PLUS RAN AN A/C DUCT INTO THE GARAGE SPACE, IT STILL GETS HOT DURING THE SUMMER - WHAT SORT OF INSULATION SHOULD I/COULD I CONSIDER TO HELP KEEP THE COOL AIR (FROM THE A/C VENT) IN THE GARAGE?? I SOLVED THE NOISE PROBLEM BY HANGING A HEAVY PIECE OF UPHOLSTERY IN FRONT OF THE GARAGE DOOR. Thanks!!

[Edited by mrsmusicmaker on 05-30-01 at 03:50]

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-01, 11:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

If all you are concerned about is sound, not heat or cold, then you should try hanging foam sound barrier in that room. It can be purchased online or at a local plastics store. Look for a dense egg-crate patterned foam. Good luck.

Old 05-30-01, 06:11 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
If there is no insualtion in the ceiling or walls I would suggest you install R-30 in the attic area and R-13 In the walls..

Most Garages do not have soffit vents or roof vents if they were not built with being a conditioned space in mind. So if you insulate the ceiling area you will also need to install gable vents and a few roof vents so the roof does not rot. If your garage has a hip roof , then it will be necessary to install some type of venting in the underside of the overhangs and a few roof vents..

Most Insulation company's give free estimates, you could always call a few to see how they would address the problem, then decide If you wish to tackle it yourself.....

Good Luck

Jim

Search this Thread