Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Adding insulation/radiant barrier to bonus room attic questions???

Old 08-26-19, 09:01 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello All,
I would like to add some additional insulation and radiant barrier to an attic area above our bonus room and have a few questions. Just FYI, the main structure of our house is a hip roof whereas the bonus room is a gable roof. We do not have any ridge vents. The hot air is removed via two electric attic fans.

The attic space over the bonus room is really small and as depicted in the image. With exception, I will have to confirm whether they properly insulated the section of rafters with use of rafter vents (air chutes).

1. I'd like to staple some radiant barrier to the rafters at a minimum in the accessible area. I will leave an opening at the bottom and top of the radiant barrier for air circulation.

2. I would also like to add a layer of r13 roll insulation to the attic floor. However, this may partially cover the bottom of a gable vent which is in this section of the attic. Consequently, I will be causing a slight amount of restriction of incoming fresh air.

I think the additional layer of r13 insulation would be more beneficial than any slight amount of fresh air restriction but you may have a different perspective? We have eave vents all the way around the house but if you consider any restriction of the gable vent to be highly detrimental, would it be ok to add a few plastic attic vents or a ridge vent to that area of the attic?

The plastic attic vents/ridge vent would allow some of the heat to escape naturally prior to the attic fans kicking on. Then when the attic fans kicked on, even if they drew fresh air in from the plastic vents/ridge vent that would seem to offset any slight amount of gable vent restriction created?

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: