Humidity in Room above garage

Old 08-30-19, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidity in Room above garage

I have 2 bedrooms above my garage. My home was built in 2009 Dallas TX. Recently I installed Sensi thermostats and I am seeing humidity alert 70%. I checked the ac and got a tech to inspect. All AC work is good and all duct work is good no leaks. The next thing I did I added more fiber glass insulation in the attic above the 2 bedrooms 14 inch. Seems the room itself is not as humid but as u get close to the wall where the thermostat is you get higher readings.
I searched around and seems the big culprit for this humidity is the garage. i bought additional sensors to check the readings to make sure Sensi thermostat is not giving false reading and the sensor was actually giving correct readings. As you know Dallas TX we got 105 temperature for the past month or so and itís very hot. Even though 70% humidity thermostat reading is too high. Next week I will be installing a new garage door R10.
Any suggestion and input what can I do ??? Who is the subject expert in these issues to call and do infra red and interior wall checkup ? Should I buy a humidifier and install in the garage and test it ? Anyone has similar problem ?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-19, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
The last thing I would be doing is running a humidifier in the garage.

If the humidity is coming from the garage, I would be checking the air sealing between the garage and the living space.

Old 08-31-19, 01:49 AM
Received 88 Votes on 79 Posts
The next thing I did I added more fiber glass insulation in the attic above the 2 bedrooms 14 inch

So what was done between the garage and the rooms?

Old 08-31-19, 07:03 AM
So what was done between the garage and the rooms?

I donít know what is done.... but seems there is another problem gap between sheet rock and garage cement floor is inch and so
[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/b2a8a475-8170-46b9-a4cd-1c8a0a61e7a5[/img]

Old 08-31-19, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Have no idea what that link is supposed to be but it doesn't work. That said, gaps between floor and sheetrock are normal and serve to keep the sheetrock away from any water accumulating on the floor.

Old 08-31-19, 03:16 PM
Step garage

The pic I sent is the link of the actual garage , I have a 3 inch step up in the garage.
You enter the garage and there is another step of 3 inch concrete above the garage level where the car park. The low level where the car park I see a 3 inch cement then sheet rock
I am trying to attach pics but the forum only takes links

Old 08-31-19, 04:47 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
pictures

IMO, the source of the moisture is the hot air leaking into your house. I'll add a calculator below as you need to include both temperature and relative humidity when comparing readings.
You said : "Seems the room itself is not as humid but as u get close to the wall where the thermostat is you get higher readings." That is because the temperature near the wall was different. Same moisture in the air but at different temperature will give a different humidity reading.

As Stickshift said, you need to address air sealing. And as you asked, an infrared camera with the house either pressurized by a fan or depressurized will help locate those leaks. All energy auditors should have that equipment.

Temperature, Dewpoint, and Relative Humidity Calculator

Bud
See if these instructions help.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Last edited by Bud9051; 08-31-19 at 04:50 PM. Reason: instructions to add pictures