Room overhang is cold

Old 11-10-19, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Room overhang is cold

Our family room (upper floor) has a partial over hang.

The floor above the overhang gets very cold in the winter. There is a heating vent outlet located along the right hand side of the room, but 3/4 of the way back from the 2 large upper windows you see.

How should the area in the overhand be insulated? It’s covered right now in soffit. I’ve yet to remove the soffit. Should there be bat insulation in the floor joists?

There’s also a rather large gap above the door.....between the door and the soffit. What could I fill that with?

Any other ideas to make that area warmer? The previous owner disconnected and removed a baseboard heater located under the two windows. There is still a baseboard heater (disconnected) along the right had side wall next to the downspout. Its position is useless as our couch is along that wall.

Room is facing south so we get a lot of sun, but if the wind is blowing at all, or in the morning, the floor is very cold.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-19, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 214 Votes on 199 Posts
Air sealing all the outside edges is important. Often when fiberglass is used, it lays between the floor joists, leaving a gap above the insulation where air can wash down the joists directly under the subfloor. And air can pass through fiberglass since it only slows air... it doesn't stop it. So fiberglass is not the best way to air seal. Foam is better, but you must still seal the edges so that air can't go around it.

So on a cantilevered home, you would really want to seal the rim joist and the bottom of the joists, which is now covered only with plywood. There are likely lots of gaps allowing air in. Then the joists avove the cantilever can be filled with insulation, with no worries that exterior air is washing through it. There is no point in filling the joists with insulation once you get past the interior wall surface of the lower level.

As far as disconnecting heat is concerned, that is probably the worst thing you could possibly do, especially in an area that probably experiences the most heat loss. BTU heat loss can be calculated by an energy audit. The way to keep rooms comfortable is to throw more heat (BTU's) at it. By shutting the heat off, you are doing the opposite, so the room will get much colder as a result.

As far as your door question is concerned, I don't know exactly what gap you might be referring to.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
It is amazing..... all these years of using the cantilevering method of building and still not insulating correctly. I worked on a customers house during then week. I was installing alarm contacts on windows in a cantilevered kitchen. The tile floor over the cantilever was ice cold and there was a breeze. Customer had no idea why. I knew.

If it was me..... I'd have it professionally spray foamed.