Insulate above garage

Old 12-05-19, 06:05 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Insulate above garage

I want to add insulation above my garage area, It is 10' high, 700 f2, fink style truss and supports of 2x4 24"oc. I live in Maine. I added a gable vent on one end of the garage, and it is attached to the house on the other end, There is a lightweight storage area over the joists with plywood laid on top. The area will not be heated, just insulated to try to keep it above freezing most of the year

I was thinking of laying in R-19 23" rock wool batts using wire batt supports between the rafters. I may install a ceiling next year.

Thoughts, comments, more insulation?

Old 12-05-19, 06:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Since you have no insulation now R-19 would be a massive improvement. My garages are all insulated, walls and ceilings. Down here in NC in our coldest winter snaps (10 days below freezing, nights +5 to -5f) and they get down into the upper 30's. If we had more severe winters freezing would be an issue. It was better when I kept my diesel truck at home. It's big cast iron engine brought in a lot of slow releasing heat but with two cars in there there just isn't enough heat added to offset losses, mainly through the garage door.

I think R-19 is a good compromise between good R value and cost. I don't think you'll be able to ever insulate well enough to prevent freezing but you could get an extra month+ where it doesn't freeze. It's hard to get around the fact that you open a huge hole in the wall every time you open the garage door and let most of your heat out.

Old 12-05-19, 08:34 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If your going to drywall Id just do the insulation afterward with blown in cellulose and save all the time an hassle of installing batts between the rafters!

Then for just a few dollars more in material cost you could get R40 (or whatever is recommended) with minimal extra effort!

maarkr voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: