should I put a cover over my blown in insulation

Old 01-09-20, 05:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
should I put a cover over my blown in insulation

I have a 1600 sq. foot attic with new blown in mineral wool. Is it a good Idea to cover the insulation with some type of blanket as I have continuous soffit vent, ridge vent, and a gable vent on each side of the house. My concern is the loose fibers becoming airborne. Don't really know if I should be concerned about it.

Old 01-09-20, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
No, because it would likely be a surface that would trap condensation on the cold side of the insulation.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 01-09-20, 06:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of a breathable microfiber type of fabric or some type of breathable fabric.

Old 01-09-20, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's breathable or not. It will still get wet when the conditions are right. No one does that.

Old 01-09-20, 07:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Nope, do not cover your insulation. The insulation really doesn't blow around within the attic. The bits that got blown out into the soffit during installation might move around on a windy day but the insulation over the house pretty much stays in place on it's own. Also, you don't have a way of installing it. You should now walk on or do anything to compress blown insulation. It will be difficult to install anything over the entire attic space without stepping on at least some of the insulation. Then anything you put on top may compress the insulation hurting it's R value. So, just let it be.

Old 01-10-20, 09:14 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I agree, nothing on top. The attic floor to house should have received a lot of careful air sealing so there should be no air path into the house. Air flow would be in through the soffits and out through the high vents.

I didn't see your climate region mentioned or how much insulation you had installed??

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: