insulating an attached garage

Old 06-07-01, 03:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I have recently purchased a new home(6months) and have an attached garage that the builder did not insulate and only drywalled the ceiling. I have collected quite a bit of insulation scraps(kraft-faced and not) that I would like to use in both the walls and ceiling. On the walls, I plan on tacking a plastic vapor barrier over the insulation since some of it won't be kraft-faced. In the ceiling, I was planning on laying the isulation between the joints as is.

Are there any concerns that I should be aware of in the attic with regards to moisture. Also, if I choose not to apply a vapor barrier to the walls, can that present a problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-01, 05:45 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
I would install the vapor barrier on the walls , If you install the plastic vapor barrier on the interior walls then remove the kraft paper from the batts, any additional insulation you may need to buy should be unfaced. As far as the attic goes you shouldnt need a vapor barrier as long as you have proper venting..

If the Garage is not heated or only on an occasion the vapor barrier is not necessary at all..

The Poly on the walls over the insulation will help reduce air infiltration on a windy day..

Good Luck

Jim