Insulating a Raised Cottage Floor?

Old 06-07-01, 11:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would appreciate some suggestions for the following problem.

I am trying to renovate a cottage for year round living. The floor of the cottage is supported by cement pillars giving 10-12 inches of crawl space under the cottage. I would like to insulate the floor somehow to make the cottage more comfortable in the winter. I live on a lake front with strong wind and sometimes -30'C weather. What do you think is the best way to proceed with my situation?

Some contractors have suggested using spray foam to insulate the floor from underneath, but I doubt they have the clearance for it. Other contractors have suggested leaving the floor alone and building an insulated skirt around the perimeter of the building with vents that can be open in summer and closed in the winter. (What about the need for vapor barriers?) Do you have any comments about these ideas or perhaps a better solution. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

>>After posting this I went back over the many suggestions in this Forum about insulating crawl spaces, but in this case there just isn't the room to get under the cottage to do any of the suggestions. Help.

Thanks,
dfazakas

[Edited by dfazakas on 06-08-01 at 03:02]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-01, 03:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to know what you did in your situation becuase I have a mobile home that is needing insulation repairs underneath and I am trying to find the best way to do this because I have called around and the prices are way over the top they quote me prices from 2500 to 4500 and I just don't have that much money. Which one did you try from the suggestions that you posted that the contractors gave you?

Old 07-12-01, 06:25 AM
Visiting Guest
I have exactly this same problem with my small 400 sq foot cabin. Would appreciate any suggestions anyone can give to provide floor insulation. Like the above example, the crawl space is only about 18 to 20 inches.

I wonder if there is anything I could do inside the cabin to make the floors warmer. I'll be putting down new lino tile. Can I install space blankets under the tile!? Would that help?

Any ideas appreciated.

Fran