firestop in walls


Old 06-09-01, 12:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Is there a foam product that works as well as the calk for a fire stop in walls? Also, I understand all vertical holes and penatrations of the outside wall need to be filled. What would you fill door or window caseings or larger holes say, over 1" in diameter? Can insulation be stuffed in these holes as a firestop?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-01, 07:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Is this for residential application... Generally speaking in homes mineral wool is used for fire stopping holes between floors (plumbing lines etc.) Firestop caulk is usually only used in commercial applications. There are many brands out in the market place, some good, some not so good. For wood frame construcion you can use an intumescent caulk around penitrations...

More times than not even in commercial applications the firestop caulk is applied incorrectly. Intumescent caulks expand from heat and will seal off penetrations such as pvc pipe which may burn away. However the caulk is supposed to be installed in the hole next to the pipe, not at the base of the pipe on top of the penetrated area.

You can get alot of facts by visiting

Be sure to check out there UL approved systems for correct installation procedures
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: