Insulation for a concrete block wall room

Old 05-19-20, 05:24 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation for a concrete block wall room

We have a large steel building that has an 8X11 concrete block wall room with a concrete floor added to one end. It currently has zero insulation so Im looking at options to insulate it as in winter months the walls, ceiling and anything within conducts so much condensation the room is basically unusable as its dripping in moisture.

To insulate the concrete block walls Im considering 2 R10 rigid foam insulation with the bottom 4 covered with pressure treated plywood to protect the foam as this area will see some equipment moved in and out. I would prefer not to stud out the walls. Im also assuming that with rigid foam I wouldnt need to be concerned about a vapor barrier as the foam board would provide for that.

My thoughts for the ceiling is to use R19 faced fiberglass insulation between the rafters and then cover the ceiling with either plywood or ??

So, would it be best if I attach the rigid wall insulation directly, with either adhesive or tapcon screws? Or would it be better to attach furring strips to the concrete block leaving an air gap between the block and the rigid foam? Or is there is a better alternative insulating solution. Were not concerned about appearances as this is mostly a storage area. Thanks

Old 05-19-20, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
Insulation isn't going to make it any warmer unless you put a space heater in there.

But yes, 2 or 3" foam glued to the walls with large dots of PL300. Get some plaster washers and 1/4" Tapcon screws and screw it as often as needed. Use spray foam at all joints as you put it together. I'd foam the ceiling too... After fiberglass but before foam goes on the walls. Spray foam the floor perimeter as you put sheets up.

There's no reason the plywood would need to be pressure treated unless you just like how it looks.

Old 05-19-20, 07:41 PM
E
Thanks for the reply. There is a 6' door opening with no doors so hopefully the room will warm comparable to the larger area.

I was considering 2" rigid foam as it was readily available locally but I've found I can order and receive 3" in a week so that's the direction I'll take. I might also look at some 1/2" 4'X8' PVC panels versus the plywood. Thanks again

Old 05-19-20, 11:54 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
As XS noted, unless you have plans to condition the space adding insulation is not going to provide any benefits!

Old 05-20-20, 06:25 AM
E
You mention using spray foam which certainly would help in filling any gaps, but would you also use the Foam Joint Tape over seams? I'm going to start collecting materials today.

I have no current plans to add direct heating to this space, but as mentioned there is no door so why wouldn't the area normalize to near the larger open area temperatures?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: