Acoustical sealant for Vapor Barrier

Old 07-13-20, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acoustical sealant for Vapor Barrier

Just installed unfaced fiberglass batt insulation to the inside of a North facing exterior wall. From research & videos, I believe I need to also apply a 6 mil poly plastic over it as a vapor barrier. Most of the videos state to seal the barrier with an acoustical sealant caulk, followed by stapling, and in some cases sealing seams with a Tuck tape. However, I have been unable to find acoustical sealant caulk in any of local stores, and employees didn't know what I was talking about. Which lead me to think maybe it is not necessary in my regional area?
I'm in central NJ (zone 7). Is an acoustical sealant needed for applying a vapor barrier?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-20, 11:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 522 Votes on 479 Posts
I've never seen people get too fussy about the adhesive. Around here no sealant is used. It is simply stapled to the studs and the seams taped. When I have seen adhesive used they only do so around outlet and switch boxes and use whatever they seem to have in the truck; silicone caulk, construction adhesive and one of my favorites urethane acrylic caulk.

Mixdplate voted this post useful.
Old 07-13-20, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Pilot Dane. After looking into it more, it seems the reference to that acoustical caulk were primarily in more northern areas or Canada. So, it may be more of a regional thing.