Attic insulation help/thoughts

Old 07-17-20, 12:26 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic insulation help/thoughts

Im going to redo the insulation in my attic it's old dirty and the stuff that's been added has vapor barrier facing roof instead of the living areas anyways gonna take it all out and seal put new fiberglass batts in. Looking at r 21 dense fiberglass 5.5 thick looking to fill 6" rafter bays flush or a little above question is should I just get Kraft faced and call it good enough or get unfaced and use plastic or something else for vapor barrier or a better combination to fill 6inch bays like r 13 with foam board below it another question is if I do Kraft face how far do I keep the paper away from electrical for fire safety should I place metal around electrical boxes to reach where I remove paper I read about making boxes out of foam for bathroom exhaust fans and sealing eoth foil tape or spray foam thinking about doing this alot of heat comes in through those seen from thermal camera which thickness foam boards should I use? if I do it will try to keep it flush with rafters and will have insulation on top eventually. I've seen mixed things on the dams for brick fireplaces I've seen insulation can touch them and I've seen it cant so will probably use roll of metal and put 2inchs off brick fireplace and flue pipe for furnace and water heater but I've seen vermiculite I thought about putting in those gaps of 2inches is this ok? Or would this cause conductive heat to heat the dam metal to much for fiberglass to touch it. I thought about using mineral wool batts but price is quite a bit higher for not alot of benefits in my opinion plus the weight its heavy and my house is old and has lathe and plaster so I was also concerned about the extra weight. There will eventually be another set of unfaced insulation perpendicular to rafters gonna be slow moving just me working on it so a little at a time. I know I'm overthinking it I do on everything but I'd like some other people's thoughts especially beings im not a pro or have done much insulation just alot of reading.

Thanks for anyone's time
Marcus

Old 07-19-20, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Spray foam...Get a free quote from local companys near you.

Old 07-19-20, 12:26 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Cellulose!

Just think of all the fun your going to have hauling all those rolls of insulation up into the attic, crawling around trying not to step off a joist, stuffing into all the low areas.

Prep the attic, air seal, air ventilation, then take the hose and fill it up it's a dusty dirty job but 100% DIY.

No need to worry about vapor barrier, it's dense and doesn't require anything additional!

Old 07-21-20, 10:33 AM
M
Thanks for the input, I considered both of these options and cant quite bring myself to use them the biggest reason is I'll be replacing electrical boxes in some rooms as I go my home is old so some boxes are old work standard 1 gang boxes for the ceiling I do not know why probably originallydidnt have lights in ceiling in some rooms idk, but those will be replaced with 4 round or octagon boxes as I go probably fan rated boxes just in case and alot of wiring in my house is ungrounded so I'll want to replace that someday and most likely contract that out I am comfortable with electric work i just think it's over my head trying to replace wiring that already behind walls and so on so both of those options will make that alot more difficult to do, I already have several 2 ft by 4ft plywood up there to stand on and will probably get several more to try to reduce risk of missing a joist and stepping through ceiling thanks for the time

Old 07-22-20, 09:37 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
I was going to improve the insulation in my attic and I had a firm that does energy audits do an inspection. No cost for that, and they offered many fixes for improving the insulation and 'tighten' the house. It's not real cheap, but the State offered a rebate that covered 1/3 the cost, and they were in and out in one day... did a great job dealing with chimney areas, fan venting and fan covering, new attic access door, and more. Between that and other heating solutions, reduced my energy costs by abt 25% from the previous year.

Old 07-23-20, 09:37 AM
M
That's pretty good I may look into that not sure if my state KY offers any rebates, I personally dont want to do it but I also like doing anything myself that I think I can handle just because I think a person working on their own stuff will pay more attention to everything alot of businesses are there to make money as fast as possible and figure you wont notice the poor work not all places are like this but alot are, so far I've paid someone redo some brick at top of fireplace and roof 2 things I know nothing about roofer was a old friend that I trusted but the bricklayers made it seem like they were doing good work my roofer even thought so but when they got above the roof on the backside it's just sloppy and they didnt try to clean the mortar off and got mortar all over my driveway which I still need to clean up 1.5 years later guess it's just hit or miss with any kind of busines thanks for info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: