Wanting to insulate my shed, had some questions

Old 07-27-20, 03:09 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wanting to insulate my shed, had some questions

I wanted to know if I needed any vapor barriers in my shed; I plan to use it year around with an ac in the summer and heater in the winter. I would like to know which side the vapor barrier needs to be on . Also how do I install ceiling insulation when its twice as thick as the wall insulation, my boards are not deep enough to keep that thick of insulation in though friction fitting alone.

EmailSaveCommentEditDelete
Follow

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-20, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Just like a house, the kraft paper would face the interior. If you use Kraft facing on the ceiling you can staple it up... just like the walls.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 07-28-20, 04:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So how do you go about telling which way it faces I'v seen different sites saying different things about where it should face? Also the insulation sticks way out from the ceiling don't think I can staple it, am I just gonna have to put wall insulation there instead since its not deep enough to hold that thick ceiling insulation?

Old 07-28-20, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Just like on a wall, on a ceiling you staple the Kraft facing to the interior face of the framing. What does it matter if it sticks up beyond the ceiling joists? It doesnt affect how you staple it at all.

Building codes (R702.7) tell you when you need a class I, class ii or class iii vapor retarder, and where it goes. According to that, you need a class i (poly) OR class ii (kraft faced) that faces the interior side of the wall if you are in zone 5,6,7,8 or marine 4.

Last edited by XSleeper; 07-28-20 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-29-20, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 534 Votes on 491 Posts
You are trying to install thick ceiling insulation into a shed... that has only about 2x4 rafters... One obvious solution is to use insulation intended for joists/rafters that small like insulation intended for walls. After all, you are insulating a shed not a house. If you want more R value you can insulate the ceiling with wall batts then cover with a layer of rigid foam to increase the R value. Most sheds have limited ceiling height so I would keep in mind how thick you want to make the ceiling as every inch of insulation comes out of your headroom.