Insulating help: No clue what I am doing

Old 09-15-20, 12:02 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulating help: No clue what I am doing

There was a little mold along the baseboards in the office in the back of the garage so we removed them. While doing this, we noticed there was a patch job about 10 inches off the floor all the way around the room so we removed that as well. We want to insulate it (cheaply) without removing the rest of the sheet rock. Not sure which would be more inexpensive, renting a blower and blowing it in or trying to fish up strips of insulation from the bottom.

Top Answer

09-15-20, 05:19 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 4,082 Upvotes on 3,665 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This isn't my forum but I'm passing thru.

You aren't going to be able to draw rolled insulation up thru the wall bays. Possibly if you use fully encapsulated insulation but that's expensive.

Blowing insulation in is a great idea but typically it's blown in at the top and it settles down to the bottom. I don't think you can fully fill the bay if you blow it up from the bottom.

Old 09-15-20, 04:56 PM
K
Any advice on the matter would be appreciated. I am not what one would call "handy", but buying a house that requires fixing, will make one change lol

Old 09-15-20, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

This isn't my forum but I'm passing thru.

You aren't going to be able to draw rolled insulation up thru the wall bays. Possibly if you use fully encapsulated insulation but that's expensive.

Blowing insulation in is a great idea but typically it's blown in at the top and it settles down to the bottom. I don't think you can fully fill the bay if you blow it up from the bottom.

Kirk73, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 09-18-20, 05:55 PM
K
I appreciate the reply. I think I will just remove all the sheet rock and add batting. Sheet rock is cheap and I think I will create more headache trying to cut corners. Thanks again.

Old 09-18-20, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome.

Opening the walls will give you the perfect opportunity to put the electric inside the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: