How do I fit insulation around electrical cables?

Old 10-26-20, 07:05 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I fit insulation around electrical cables?

Hello,

I'm finishing a basement and I'm at the stage of putting the insulation into the walls. I'm wondering what the best way is to fit the insulation around electrical cables:

Do I stuff it behind the cable? In front? Do I cut the insulation in half, one half going above the cables, one half going below? Should I cut a groove in the insulation and fit the wire in the groove? Does it matter?

Thanks.

Old 10-26-20, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
I typically will measure where the wire is and then slice the insulation about halfway through. Then as you place the insulation in, you embed the wire into that cut in the insulation. You don't have to remove any insulation... just cut it halfway through.

Also, you may not be aware of it but if you are in Canada, I believe they require rigid foam against the foundation prior to framing and insulating your walls. You may want to contact your local inspector before you get too far along.

Old 10-27-20, 12:34 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
I just stuff it in there, the insulation will give, I find that cutting a small piece out where the box is located gives it a tight fit vs just trying to go around it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: