Insulating Pull-down Attic Door

Old 06-25-21, 01:23 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Insulating Pull-down Attic Door

I have a 2 story house with a pull-down attic door that is not insulated. I can feel heat coming from there. I've looked at several options for insulation and I don't want to deal with anything fiberglass. I'm thinking of going with a radiant barrier tent such as that overpriced foil backed bubble wrap junk. I know making something out of foam board would be better, but it's very problematic right now.

The thing that worries me about the radiant barrier is whether it actually works and whether it causes moisture buildup and mildew/mold. Is there anyone here that is knowledgeable about this material? I'd love to have your opinions on it.

Old 06-25-21, 02:33 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not sure about the bubble wrap radiant barrier. I have seen mixed reviews.
That said, I have one of those premade styrofoam covers (looks like a mini Quonset hut). It works, and is "ready made". If time is of the essence, it might be worth a look.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-25-21, 02:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Many/most radiant barriers are not breathable so there may be condensation in winter. But I would give it a try for a small area like an attic access.

Old 06-25-21, 03:12 PM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
So you dont have to worry about the radiant barrier, it's intended to be installed directly under the roof deck, you dont install it on or above an insulated floor.

A big bat of insulation is all you need, if you dont like fiberglass just get some soft touch (blue jeans) and your good!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: