Possible Short Term asbestos exposure?


  #1  
Old 09-15-21, 07:41 AM
W
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible Short Term asbestos exposure?

,
hello,

A few days ago I helped a friend take down a wall in his home. It is a 1940ís home. We wore N95 masks and demolished a wall. Lots of dust and debris everywhere. The wall was made of plaster and had weird insulation bits in it. Possibly vermiculite. We were there for about 2-3 hours.


I am worried about asbestos exposure. Is that considered long term exposure? Have I just given myself cancer? I feel so bad that I agreed to help, havenít slept or eaten well in last 2 days
 
  #2  
Old 09-15-21, 08:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,127
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
If present that would be short term exposure. Plus, you were wearing masks and you don't even know if there was any asbestos present.

The cancer risk posed by asbestos has been GREATLY exaggerated, generally by lawyers wishing to collect their 50-60% of settlements.
 
Norm201 voted this post useful.
  #3  
Old 09-15-21, 09:53 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 70,064
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
It's not the external exposure to asbestos that's dangerous..... it's getting it in your lungs.
Wearing masks was a very good idea.

A mask should be worn when working with any construction dust and especially from any type of insulation.
 
  #4  
Old 09-15-21, 03:39 PM
maarkr's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 479
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
If 2-3 hours of exposure wearing a mask causes anything, then I was a very lucky guy demoing and scraping a 120 year-old Victorian for months, that tested positive for lead paint, without a protective mask 30 years ago, with no health issues today.
 
  #5  
Old 02-16-22, 01:49 PM
E
Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 24
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It takes years after inhalation of a lot of asbestos fibers. The people who were most affected were those who worked in places like shipbuilding during WW2, when they sprayed a slurry of the stuff on pipes in ships for insulation. THEY got asbestosis, with or without cancer. A huge contributing factor was asbestos exposure with smoking. They got lung cancer way more than smokers without asbestos inhalation, or asbestos exposure in non-smokers. The risk is low by inhaling some fibers from old ceiling tiles with asbestos or from brake linings, but the latter was an issue for long term brake mechanics with no breathing protection.

Relax. Many of us have had incidental exposure, including my grandfather who died of something at 100.5, and my father who died at 95.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: