double insulation in the attic

Old 01-24-22, 07:23 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
double insulation in the attic

Hello everybody,

I just bought a house and I just discovered that the ceiling on the 2nd floor is pretty cold. I checked the unfinished attic and saw that I have old fiberglass insulation (maybe 40 years old) with the paper facing up.

I am wondering if I can add a layer of unfaced fiberglass on top of it ? I know it is not recommended as the old vapor barrier will be in the middle of 2 layers, but as this is very very old, will it really make a difference ?

At the same time, another way to make sure that it is well insulated everywhere is to blow some insulation, but I believe it creates the same problem of maybe moisture ?

I am living in NY state near NYC, so we can have cold winters and hot humid summers.

Tahnk you for your help,

Alex

Old 01-24-22, 07:37 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
A vapor barrier should be right next to the heated space so I doubt that the paper has done anything.
If you are still concerned you could just cut some slits in it.

The biggest problem is that when you blow in insulation and if you have soffit venting then unless you have insulation stops then you clog up the vents.
It is s good idea if even with batts you install some to be sure the venting stays open.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 01-24-22, 09:09 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you, this is very helpful. I will cut some slits to make sure is is vented a little bit and will put the insulation on top of it. Looks like blowing insulation is much cheaper than the rolls, but I will go again in the attic and check what you said about the venting.

Have a good day

Alex

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: