another attic insulation question

Old 02-03-22, 11:06 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
another attic insulation question

Hello and good day to all.
My house is a two story with a garage, rectangular Georgian style I guess, even though it's in SC. The attic has what I'm going to call gray mineral wool insulation, it comes up to the top of the 2x6 ceiling joists, so it's 5 inches deep in most places. House was built in 1974. There's attic vents on both sides and when I reroofed we put a ridge vent as well. Will I gain anything by laying r-30 unfaced rolls over the existing? I have what I consider high energy bills in both winter and summer, and the house has the original single pane wood windows, which are large, but also real nice and add to my energy use too.
Thanks you for input, I appreciate it!

Old 02-03-22, 12:20 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Your in the R38-60 zone and have probably R20, so yes it will help.

Look into sprayed in cellulose, much easier!

Just think of all the fun hauling up those large batts of insulation will be, not to mention all the crawling around to install.

Old 02-04-22, 08:46 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thank you! I'm going to have a second look at the machine they have over at HDepot. I thought it was big and bulky and would have to sit on my front stoop and I'd have a whatever hose either going up the side of the house or into the house and up the stairs, and then up the attic door stairs; the rolls seemed easier at first, It might come down to what's cheaper! Thanks again.

Old 02-04-22, 09:34 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Don't know what your exterior is but keeping that outside is best, it gets dusty.

I find it easiest to find a vent or soffit to open up the attic!

Old 02-04-22, 11:24 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I had my attic done with blown in. After watching them working in that crap with the attic well over 100* I'm glad I did not DIY it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: