paint cinder block or no?

Old 08-20-22, 09:28 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
paint cinder block or no?

I seem to have stumped the panel on my last post, regarding insulating a masonry wall after removing tile (Help! Need to insulate cinder block/brick wall), so here's a question that's hopefully easier: Before I insulate and frame up that wall and either sheet rock it or use shiplap to finish it, would it be a good idea to use some masonry paint to "seal" up the cinder block a bit first? Concerned about creating a "multiple vapor barrier" situation. Thanks!

Old 08-20-22, 10:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,227 Upvotes on 1,987 Posts
I would not bother painting the block. If there is a moisture issue it will eventually come off so you are better off using a real vapor barrier.

flukeslapper voted this post useful.
Old 08-20-22, 01:13 PM
F
Thanks, Pilot Dane. There doesn't seem to be a moisture issue in the wall, just had some leftover paint and thought it couldn't hurt (famous last words, right?)

I'm planning on gluing an inch or two of the polyiso panel to the cinder block, then framing it out over that. Do you think it's safe to fill the gaps in the framing with fiberglass or some other insulation, over the polyiso?

Old 08-21-22, 05:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Paint on the inside of a concrete wall as a 'moisture barrier' is a waste of time and money.

Yes, some kind of batt insulation between the studs is fine. Mineral wool would be my choice.

flukeslapper voted this post useful.
Old 08-23-22, 09:29 AM
F
Quick follow-up question: Would it be a good idea to skim coat the wall with some cement patch before gluing polyiso board to it? The wall is really irregular, with dips and peaks, and the foam board is stiff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: