Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Should I try and insulate my walls with only a 3/4 gap space?

Old 10-02-22, 08:09 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My home was build in the 1950's. Iíve got only a 3/4″ gap between the backside of my drywall and the cement block exterior walls of my house. 1◊3 vertical strips are nailed into the cement walls and drywall is attached. Is it worth it trying to insulate with such small space? If so could I put 3/4 insulated styrofoam panels against wall?

Old 10-03-22, 10:13 AM
Received 399 Upvotes on 348 Posts
I did a search to find out whether houses of that age and type might have hollow blocks for possible insulation. I found this information that pretty much includes the possibilities I would have suggested.

Here is another one. And another. And this one about filling the hollow blocks.

3/4 inch insulation is not much and probably would not be worth the trouble. Adding framing and insulation inside may be a possibility if you are doing a complete gut rehab. An outside application is also a major undertaking.

rock13979 voted this post useful.
Old 10-03-22, 02:02 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks 2john02458 for your input. I been living here for 7 years so I am kinda use to not have insulation. But do think about how much warmer it would feel with it. Right now I am in the process of remodeling my small bedroom bathroom. Since I am removing the drywall I might go head and put that small amount of insulation anyway, There is only one wall that is facing the exterior.

Old 10-03-22, 02:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
As long as you are removing drywall, I would remove the 1x3s as well so you can cover the concrete with foam for a thermal break. Then build a new stud wall inside that - insulation there is optional but fiberglass or mineral wool batts can be used. Then drywall again over that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: