Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Insulating knee walls in cape and basement crawl space insulation

Old 06-15-23, 08:58 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We own a cape cod and it has an addition added to the rear which has a large bedroom and living room added to the home. We noticed that the bedroom is very humid most of the summer compared to the rest of the house, we have checked for leaks and other water issues and nothing has been found. I opened the knee wall above and found that there is no insulation in the ceiling of the knee wall area above the bedroom did not insulated the knee wall either. The roof rafters have been insulated all the way to the peak which has a ridge vent and from what i see they did not install baffles either, as well as the insulation being packed in the soffits. This seems all wrong to me.
One other issue is the area below the addition has a 6 ft crawlspace that is all concrete floor and walls. they insulated the underside of the floor joists with r19 with craft paper facing towards the crawl space which i believe is wrong also.
Would it be good to pull the the insulation from the rafters and insulate the ceiling above the rooms with batts?.
one other question is that i recently come into possession of a very large amount of non perforated reflective insulation double bubble. Could i use this in the crawl space below the rooms to help with any issues? could this just go right over the existing batts or would i remove the batts and just install the reflective right to the joists?
Has anyone ever turned non perforated reflective into perforated by either slitting by other means to use it? i know its an odd question but i am just looking to use this up before purchasing more new which i will do if need be.
thank you for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: