How to insulate above a new fireplace??

Old 08-26-01, 10:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We are building our home and are busy doing the ext. wall insulation. We are almost done, but we have left the area above/around the new fireplace, because we are not sure what to do.... It has the big flu, etc....I can't imagine using our R-13 bats. Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-01, 09:48 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
It would be best not to use an insulation that can condensate moisture. Because of the high temperature difference this is a possiblity. If you fiber glass it is of a very low efficency and you want to keep as much in as possible.
I would suggest two layers of radiant barrier. No moisture problems and it is about 95 efficient in reflecting the heat energy back into the room.
A fiberglass hose will use at least 40% more heat and 200% more a/c.
Thank you for considering my opinion.
If you chose this option and can't locate radiant barrier material, let me know.

Old 08-29-01, 11:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Thanks for your reply! Do you mind being a bit more specific? This "radiant barrier," what is it made of? Is it a board? Do you have a brand name? How do you install it?

Thank you!!

Old 08-30-01, 12:52 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Radiant barriers are the types used on space craft. They are extremely efficient. The type you would need above the FP is a fire rated paper base material with alum foil both sides.
Performance eaxample. One layer radiant barrier in ceiling will outperform a 6" fg batt by about 30%. We recommend min 2 layers ceiling and walls, 3 layers in extreme conditions.

You can get more info on internet. Enter "radiant barrier insulation " or" reflective insulations" into your search.

These materials are very easy to work with and non toxic. You should wear a pair of light cotton gloves to prevent "paper burns".

If you have family members with asthma, etc., you should avoid fg. Mold, carcenogenic fibers and chemicals can be another problem.

I thank you for considering my personal opinion.
If you have any other questions that may be beyond this site's scope, contact me at 618 667 4222 CST

Old 08-31-01, 09:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Another question , if you don't mind... is this method standard? Or is it an idea you recommend? I am interested in what "the standard" method might be, as well, for insulating above a newly installed fireplace insert. What is the code? We live in Northern Ca.
Thanks again.

Old 08-31-01, 01:53 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
The standard method would be to install fg.
Radiant barriers are approved in Cal.
I do not know of any specific code requirement. I do not believe one exists.

Old 09-02-01, 07:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Sorry, still confused. HOW does one insulate above/around the flue on a new insert with fiberglass?? On the internal or anterior wall above the fire place there is a small area to put fiberglass...one/two inches... i guess we'll put it there... do you put any on the back wall? I would fear it would get to hot and burn....... anybody else have opinions?

Sheryl and Matthew

Old 09-04-01, 05:01 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
That's the beauty of radiant barriersRB).

You simply staple a sheet of Rb to the surface of the studs.

you cut a hole in it to fit arond the flue.

You don't have to fit it insde the air space unless you are going to cover with drywall.

These are sheets of paper with foil laminated to both sides.

If you have access to very heavy aluminum foil, you can carefully staple that to the studs in place of the manufactured material.