removing insulation.....

Old 09-14-01, 04:08 PM
cactopher
Visiting Guest
Question

I am in the process of removing the old plaster and lath ceiling in my house. As I was tearing the old one down, I noticed a lot of red dust coming from between the lathing. I was used to the black and grey dust coming out, but the red dust has thrown my for a loop!!! Any thoughts as to what this may be? How do I know if I have asbestos in my insulation? It is the blown in kind. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-01, 02:37 AM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
I have reinsulate alot of old houses, but never came across red dust. Red could indicate that an iron object rusted in the attic(?). How ever you prbably do have some rock wool that was common to alot of these old houses.
Just like fiberglass, rock wool can be vary dangerous to your health, not counting the lead paint problem.

Use an approved fiberglass mask. Not one of those cheap paper type. The big macho one ($34). Don't want you dying of cancer twenty years fom now(serious).

Wash clothes each day seperately from regular clothing.
When tear out done, vacumn thorourghly, perferably with wet dry vac with water in vac to collect dust.

If you are going to insulate the walls and or ceiling, let me know and I will tell you the most efficient material for these old houses, because if the wrong insulation is used it will cost you a bundle to heat and cool.