old house crawlspace insulation

Old 10-05-01, 04:23 PM
Visiting Guest
After reading the others, I am confused. I was on the owens corning website, obtained info and insulated this way. Did I cause myself future problems?

I have a 118 year old home on historical register. Wood siding, block foundation. No insulation in crawlspace. I live in WV. Foundation has vents around it. Main floor was quite drafty and cold during winter season. Crawlspace is unheated, some of the pipes were insulated, most of the ductwork is insulated. I added poly to dirt floor. Added owens corning R25 Miramex insulation vertically from floor to top of joists so that it covers the block foundation walls. This insulation did not have a vapor barrier on it but does have a thin plastic breathable covering. This was recommended by owens corning. I left two of the vents open on opposite sides. I was afraid of moisture problems if I installed a poly on the block foundation walls under the insulation. What did I do wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-01, 05:06 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Go down about 11 questions to "robert smith" and you'll see how to insulate a crawl space for maximun efficientcy.

Also go one above to "alonte" and see the answer I had for him/her.

You have installed a product that is of low effieciency and can support mold/mildew.

After reading the two mentioned, you have any questions, let me know.

Thank you for considering my opinion.