Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wall insulation in 1930's home

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-10-01, 09:57 AM   #1  
I have a 1930's home with no insulation in walls. I have seen the posts about cutting holes between the studs and blowing in insulation. I have plaster & lath walls and do not want to cut holes.
In the attic there is space between the outside brick and inside stud wall that you can see down at least to fire blocking half-way down.
I know when you buy insulation at Home Depot or Lowes you can get the blower to use with it.
MY QUESTION: Can you use a reducer and a 2 inch hose with one of these blowers?
REASON: I could shove the 2 inch hose down to the fire blocking and then turn on the blower to fill up at least half of the wall as I pull it out.
SECOND QUESTION: Is it worth this much trouble???
Thanks, FH

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-10-01, 12:14 PM   #2  
Insulman
The blowing machines they loan you from a Home Depot are not sufficient to properly blow cellulose insulation into the wall cavity's.. You shouldn't be drilling holes in your fire blocks either they are there for a reason...

A professional can drill through your mortar joints in the brick and blow insulation with the proper blowing machine into your side walls... That is of course assuming that you do not have any insulation whatsoever in the walls at this time.. They will drill each stud cavity near the top and bottom to be assured that the entire cavity is filled. To fill only half the wall would be a total waste of money..
It would take many years to recoop your investment from energy savings, however the additional comfort and reduction of noise transfer of exterior sounds is something to also consider in the expense..

Good Luck

Jim

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-11-01, 01:22 AM   #3  
Jim,
That answered my main question: Would filling only the top half of the wall cavity be worthwhile. At the top in the attic there is no top plate, you can see all the way to the fire block. But the bottom there is no access. I do not want to drill holes in the plaster if I can get away without it.
Do you know if there is any kind of expanding foam system available that you would only have to drill very small holes???
Thanks, FH

Visiting Guest

10-11-01, 01:40 AM   #4  
Insulman
As far as I know there is not an expanding foam that would fill in the area your speaking of by drilling only 1 hole...

You might do a search on the net for expandable foam insulation and see what that produces...

Good Luck

Jim

Search this Thread