Necessary to place insulation between joists?

Old 10-21-01, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hello,
We have a small old Victorian cottage (1885) in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are installing insulation into the attic -- the house has no insulation and is quite cold and drafty. We are using R-38 kraft backed batts from Home-Depot. Our attic is quite dusty and cramped and I am wondering if it is neccessary to trim these batts so that they fit in between the irregular 2x4 ceiling joists. This seems like alot of work and I would like to know if it is manditory. If it is completely necessary, can you please explain why. thanks. We just started today and I have not done any trimming yet. The ceilings are the original plaster and the attic has gable vents.
Thanks very much,
Doopers

Old 10-22-01, 03:59 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
Should be ok as long as there are no gaps between each batt... Remember facing goes toward the warm side if you bought kraft faced..The insulation will help alot for heat loss..

This added insulation won't do much good to stop drafts, I wouldnt think.. You should make sure all your caulking is good around all windows and doors.. Are you aware where the drafts are coming in?

Good Luck

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: