does it make a noticable noise difference?

Old 10-13-01, 05:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

How significant is the noise reduction if you insulate the ceiling in a basement? My drywall hanger said I should save my money, but I'm skeptical. I would think a little R-13 is going to make a noticable difference, but how would I know. Help me out please!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-01, 08:24 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
R-11 will give you the same STC ratings as R-13, It will help some..It is not sound proofing by any means.. But it will make a noticable difference...Also by having the drain lines in the basement ceiling covered with R-11 unfaced batts it will cut down on the running water sound transfer..

If you do it yourself, the insulation should only be about 22 cents a square foot or so...

Are you building a new home?

Are you trying to sound a Video room in your basement?

Old 10-14-01, 08:46 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks insulman

I'm just finishing the basement, but I appreciate the input. Menards had a sale on R-13 which made it the same price as the R-11. I will have a video room. Is there anything special I should do before the drywall is up, and other than the ceiling insulation? I already ran the wire for surround speakers.

Old 10-15-01, 02:42 AM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
The R-13 alone won't do alot for blocking sound from a surround sound speaker system... The low frequencies are hard to stop...

check out this site for some detailed information on sound control.... http://www.noisecontrol.net/myths.html

really depends how much you want to invest as to what can be done..

Good Luck

Jim