Always cold kitchen

Old 10-23-01, 10:35 AM
Dawn Crocini
Visiting Guest
I just moved into a 73year old house this summer. The kitchen was fully renovated before I bought it. Here is my problem. All summer even through the heat waves the kitchen was alway cool. Now that winter is coming the kitchen is freezing. The house is a two story very small place. The basement is cement and it is warm. Upstairs is not so bad for the heat either. Why would the middle floor be so cold even in the summer??

Dawn.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-01, 01:39 PM
Cool

Where are the heating-and-air registers in the kitchen?
Are they open or closed?
Are you sure that the ducts to them have not come loose?
That happens.
Check them first.
Good Luck!

Old 10-24-01, 02:04 AM
Dawn Crocini
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Always cold Kitchen

Dear Old Guy,

Thank you for your reply but I have an electric wall heater in the kitchen. Sure if I turn it on it is ok but right now it is warmer outside than it is in my Kitchen. This is what I don't understand.

Thank you,
Dawn.

Old 10-24-01, 02:58 AM
Cool

Do you have any idea whether there was any insulation put into the exterior wall(s) during the kitchen renovation?
Also, a room with a house level above it will always be cooler than the upper level, even in warmer climates (heat rises, and the upper level protects the lower level from radiant roof heat-up). And the kitchen may be on the afternoon shady side of the house.
All kinds of factors could make your kitcehn cooler.
I don't know how large your kitchen is or how high the ceiling is, but maybe that electric wall heater just isn't large enough to heat the cubic footage adequately, unless yuou're doing a lot of coooking.
There are small 3-brick gas wall heaters that put out a great deal of heat and are much more energy efficient than an electric heater. Contact your local gas company. They usually sell and isntall them.
Everyone that I know who has them are greatly pleased with them.
Good Luck!
Mike