lost

Old 11-08-01, 07:43 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a house that was built in 1940. It has low ceilings but a high roof. The attic is about 6 feet tall. I would like to put more insulation up there but I don't know what type to put. I would like to use the rolls because of cost. What R-# should I use? There is already some insulation blown in there but it is only about 3 1/2-4 inches thick. Can I lay the new rolls over the top of the exsiting insulation or should I take the old stuff out.
Thank you

Old 11-08-01, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Use unfaced insulation, and just roll it right out over the old. (Vapor barriers go toward the heated space, if you use that as the first new layer.)
You can use more than one layer.
The Fed gov. recommends R-30 in attics.
Insulation always pays for itself.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 11-09-01, 11:01 AM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
Where do you live?

In Michigan minimum ceiling insulation on new builds is R-30. You can buy R-30 unfaced insulation 24 inches wide x 48" long and lay it over the top of your existing insulation just as OldGuy has said.. If you have soffit venting you will need to install the stryofoam or cardboard vents so the insulation does not block off the ventilation..

Not only does the proper amount of insulation in your attic reduce your energy consumption.. If it is properly installed you will not have ice dam problems which were a huge problem in S.E. Michigan last year...

Be sure you insulate over the top of the access door to your attic. Non insulated scuttle holes, and attic doors allow heat to travel freely to the attic and will likely cause ice damming..

Good Luck

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: