Garage Insulation

Old 11-06-01, 01:51 PM
Visiting Guest
I need to insulate the garage of my newly constructed home. The drywall has not gone up yet, so I'm fairly open, as far as insulation options. Can you please recommend insulation type and any other resource that could help a do-it-yourselfer install the insulation? (I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, fairly inclimate winter weather) Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-01, 07:27 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
Depends on why you are insulating your garage. Are you going to heat your garage continuously throughout the winter months or just sporadically while you do some work in there in the colder months..

If you are not going to heat your garage at all, then there is no real benefit whatsoever to adding insulation..IF you are going to heat it temporarily here and there I would install R-13 in both the walls and ceiling... If your going to heat it continuosly I would install R-30 ceiling and R-13 walls..

Good luck

Jim

Old 11-08-01, 05:53 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings, Knapierk

Even if you do not heat the garage it is a good idea to insulate it with an efficient insulation. I take it that the garage is attached, so , insulating with an efficient insulation would help take the load off the walls to the house plus the car wouldn't be so hot in the summer. If the kids(?) want to play in bad weather, you have the space.

Garages are particularlly hard to insulate from the standpoint of moisture problems. Since the insulation temperature varies more than the house insulation the potential for condensation problems is greater. As you probably know moisture just about wipes out fiberglass efficiency.

This is a perfect project for radiant barriers(RB). Install two layers in the ceilings and walls. Use the 20# kraft paper type with foil both sides. It is easy to install and you don't have to worry about carcenogenic fibers or chemicals, as in fiberglass, or moisture problems or mold/mildew problems. This will out perform any amount of fiberglass that you could install.

For more info on radaint barriers enter in your search engine, "radaint barrier" or "reflective insulation"

Thank you for considering my opinion.