Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Another blown insulation ?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-12-01, 06:14 AM   #1  
My back 2 rooms have been added on, over a crawl space, facing north. The walls are very cold; have gone over insulation underneath, which wasn't finished and reworked the door and things are better. But.......with the walls still cold, we were hoping to blow in insulation from the inside, since both rooms need a re-do anyhow. Tried to drill holes today and find there is insulation in there, maybe 2 inches worth, since I can push it back and still have several inches to play with. Really not up to tearing siding off and all that, would like something from the inside. Is this possible or any other suggestions? The air coming from the wall is cold enough that putting a blanket over your head to sleep is the best way to go!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-12-01, 04:07 PM   #2  
Insulman
Because you now have fiberglass insulation in your stud cavity's it is not a good idea to try blow cellulose into the wall. The reason being is that it will only fill pockets around where you drill the holes, the fibeglass that is in the walls now, will prohibit the cellulose from distributing throught the entire cavity..

I have seen numerous remodels where walls are torn out where this has been tried. And the end result is a waste of good money..

Blowing cellulose into walls requires that the stud cavity be empty for the product to fill the wall completely.

I am curious where you feel the air coming through the wall.. at electical outlets,windows or other penetration areas? You may be able to stop drafts by addressing these areas. You might also check from the outside and see if your plate is exposed to the elements, if so you can foam seal along that area and stop alot of drafts that can occur.

Let us know how things turn out...

Good luck

Jim

Visiting Guest

11-12-01, 04:19 PM   #3  
rbisys
Greetings, Doriss

You can paint your walls with a radiant energy reflecting paint that is about 3-4 times more efficient than fiber glass or cellulose. try, http://www.radiancecomfort.com.

Also look at my suggestion on crawl spaces in the preceeding thread from techtim. You can lose a considerable amout of energy to a crawl space even if it is insulated with fiber glass. Radiant barriers are available to put up in attics over existing insulation to reduce a/c costs considerably.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread