Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating over a slab

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-13-01, 05:04 AM   #1  
I am converting a garage into living space with glass sliding doors, and gas fire place. I have raised the floor 8" from the slab to allow for duct work for heat and AC. What would be the best way to insulate the floor?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-14-01, 02:41 PM   #2  
rbisys
Greetings, Tont59

I hope you put a 4 mil vapor barrier over the concrete.

If you did it is a simple matter to lay a radiant barrier (RB)over the plastic and bring it up on the side walls to the level of the sub floor. The RB will not condensate moisture, grow mold or lose its insulation value for the life of the structure. It is the only material that refects 97% of the heat energy back up to the flooring to help keep it warm. You can use either the plastic film type or the the paper sheet type with aluminum foil laminated to both sides.
They both come in 48" widths, 1,000 sf rolls. You can use the remainder to lay over your attic insulation and cut your a/c costs substantually. Material costs, $.17(paper type), $.20 sf plastic film type plus frieght.

This also allows you to put any air ducts in the joist area which keeps the ducts inside the envelope as they should be.

If you haven't done the walls or ceil'g yet, you can install the RB there too and have a super insulated room. IT WILL BE THE MOST COMFORTABLE ROOM IN THE HOUSE.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread