New insulation for basement floors

Old 11-17-01, 12:12 PM
Visiting Guest
New insulation for basement floors

We are building a new house and are about to put down insulation and a floor in the basement. Our plumber described a new 1/2 inch insulating material with heavy surface structure so that a floating floor can be installed directly above the insulation. This would serve as an alternative to the conventional construction of a sleeper floor using treated 2x4's in conjunction with 1 1/2inch Dow foam all covered with 3/4 inch ply wood, nailed to the sleepers (sleepers nailed to the concrete). Has anyone heard of shuch a thing, and if so where can we get some?

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-01, 11:03 PM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ben:
That's a new one to me. The only thing I know of that sounds remotely like what he was talking about is a composite of white beadboard rigid insulation laminated to a layer of 1/2" OSB. Normally we use it over a non-nailable roof deck when we want to use shingles. I think it may work for this application; you will still need to screw the composite down to your concrete slab. Be sure you add a second layer of plywood over the OSB, especially if you're going to use a flooring that needs an adhesive. Most flooring manufacturers won't warrantee their products when installed over particle board and similar materials unless you go thru a series of tests for adhesion; it will also strengthen the whole assembly.

To find it, I would start by calling some of the larger lumber yards, find out who the manufacturer is, and call them directly. Ask for a technical person and tell them what you want to do. They can probably help you.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have trouble and I'll see if I can get something this week when I'm in the office.

Bruce

Old 11-19-01, 04:34 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

I don't know about a rigid material, but, there is a 3/8" material that I recommend to my customers that you can install a radiant barrier over and then your sub floor. See, www.systemplaton.com.

This material is a solid vapor barrier.

The radiant barrier is superior to foam and you will not have mold/mildew problems as you could with foam.

Thank you for considering my opinion.