Insulating a cabin for year round use

Old 12-05-01, 03:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Insulating a cabin for year round use

I recently purchased a cabin in northwest Wisonsin and wish to convert the seasonal property to be able to use it year round. There is absolutely no insulation in the rafters. I would like to take the old hung ceiling down and create a cathedral-type ceiling. What is the best approach to use for insulating the area? I would like to use T & G pine to finish off the ceiling on the inside. I have read just enough through other postings and web sites to be totally confused. I like the idea of using a non-ventilated system but have read quite a few rebuttals. Additional thoughts would be most appreciated.

vafritz

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-01, 01:23 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You're beter off insulating the roof from the outside with rigid board then installing a cold roof over it for ventilation. The major reason for the ventilation in attics has to deal with Equalibrium relative Humidity (ErH%). This is the ability of materials to absorb and expel moisture. All materials absorb moisture to a certain extent. In fact most materials start out moist. What ventilation does is assists the roof elements, like rafters, to expel moisture or dry out . This moisture can be absorb from the humidity in the air. In most cases the moisture is absorb in the winter from the heat from the home. Insulation does not stop heat, it resists heat flow. Furthermore, the dominant heat transfer mechanisms in heating are diffusion and pressure.

In areas where the weather is hot and humid, ventilation is not recommended because of the high humidity in the air and the dominant heat transfer mechanism in cooling is radiant. This is the reason why you hear conflicting theories about ventilation. In fact we can say ventilation depends on the weather.

If you want to know more about ventilation and how to install a cold roof, click on the little house icon with www next to it at the bottom of this message and read topic "Ventilation".

Old 12-08-01, 02:44 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings, Vafritz

I covered this type of installtion for Samsus2927, about 4 lines down from your entry.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thank you for considering my opinion.