Insulating a new house

Old 12-12-01, 06:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Insulating a new house

I am getting ready to build a new house in Holden, MO (+/- 50 mi. East of Kansas City). What I need to know is the recommended R factor for the insulation that I will need for the ceiling and walls (I am wanting to use rolled fiberglass insulation).

The house will be three bedroom, two bath, living room, dining room, kitchen and utility room on a concrete slab foundation.

The dimensions of the main part of the house (everything except the living room) is 30' X 40'. The kitchen and dining room combined are 12' x 40' with a 10' cathedral ceiling. All other rooms in the main part of the house will have standard 8' ceilings.

The living room will be 16' X 16' and have a 10' cathedral ceiling.

Any help or usefull tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John Webster

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-01, 08:13 AM
Architects design drainage planes throughout the structure. Over insulating is when you interfer with these drainage planes. The architect or company where you got the plans for the home would have researched on the code requirements for insulation. If you wish to exceed the code requirement, which most people do today, I strongly recommend you check with them. If there is a product that you know of and like it to be installed while the house is being built, again I would check with them.

Search this Thread